Thursday, June 17, 2010

Vintage Channels

Last night I suddenly recalled all the old television channels Singapore had before Mediacorp was born. I remember that Ch 5 was TCS (Television Corporation of Singapore). I remember it showed the American version of Ultraman in the evenings (I've the whole damn series on CD too). Central was called Premiere 12, that was where all the cartoons were. But because that channel was shared with documentary and stuff, kids shows only aired in the evenings. Then there was Prime 12, which I did not watch because it was a Malay channel.

Then came Channel U and Channel I, probably for "you & I". Channel U was another chinese channel along with Ch 8, while Channel I was an english one with old series like MacGyver and those not-so-common movies. But there were some nice shows too like The Monk! But I think that channel failed big time, so it was closed. Channel U survived though, because it showed those Taiwan or Korean dramas. Good move, because Singaporeans are getting sick of local chinese shows and more people like these kind of dramas.

Then TCS became Channel 5, CNA was born, and Mediacorp was formed. Premiere 12 became Kids Central and Vasantham, while Prime 12 became Suria. And Mediacorp got tired of changing the name from Kids Central to Vasantham that they called it Central altogether. Eventually I think Vasantham found enough shows to have it's own channel, hence Central became Okto.

Don't think I'll apply for my theory today. Shall apply in August, so that after theory I can go for practical lessons immediately. Blame NDP :(

My generation is zero
I never made it
As a working class hero

~ Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown

No comments:

Post a Comment