Sunday, June 5, 2011

X-men: First Class Review *Spoilers!*

Spoilers ahead! If you've not watch the movie, highly recommended to not read this post!
When they first say that the movie X-men:First Class was coming out, I was pretty excited. If you read comics you'd know that that title belongs to the comic series involving the original X-men: Beast, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Angel, Iceman. However, knowing that this movie is related to the rest of the X-men movies(which I honestly do not like), my hopes kind of shattered. Because as a comic reader, I dislike how the whole "X-men movie" world deviates from the comics version.

Then I found out that this movie would not focus on the original X-men, but more of Charles Xavier and Magneto. Which made me even more disappointed about the movie. Hence, my rather low expectation.

However, the movie is generally good, and makes me almost want to forgive them for the first 3 movies. The action scenes are definitely much better than the first few movies. The way the characters fly and leap in the 1st three movies were rather awkward. But seeing Banshee fly around above the battleships were rather impressive. Havok's beams were pretty cool, especially the way he did it. I found the part where Hank raced Xavier barefooted rather weird. As in the way he ran so fast.

The plot was pretty good, and like reviews say, it feels like a James Bond movie. But that is not exactly a bad thing. The story does not drag, and the plot does not disappoint. There's no anti-climax either.

Emma Frost was better than anticipated, although I wished she was a bit younger. In fact, all the characters were well-portrayed, although I was hoping for more "common" mutants. Non-readers of comics may not know half the mutants in the movie.

My favourite part was the cameo appearance of Wolverine :)

There are flaws, however, in this movie, if it is to relate back to the previous movies. First and foremost, in the 3rd movie, Charles and Erik, looking rather bald and old, went to visit a young Jean Grey. Which contradicts this movie. Charles and Erik took sides even before Charles lost his hair, which I'm quite interested to see how the movie will explain his baldness in future. The fact that Havok is Cyclops younger brother means that Cyclops would be a few years older than Havok, which is too old for that time period. Also, Banshee is suppose to fall in love with Moira, who looks way older than him in the movie. And didn't the previous movies establish the fact that Cerebro was created by Charles and Magneto? In this movie it seems like Beast did most of the work.

However, this is all base on the comic-reader point of view. If I were to neglect all the previous movies and the comics, I'd definitely say that this movie is worth watching. Also, I'm pretty sure girls are squealing over the actors portraying Havok and Beast.

Before he was Magneto he was Erik.
Before he was crippled he was Charles.haha

On a final note, I loved Magneto's helmet at the end. Beats the previous movies' helmet hands down(although more effort could be put into his outfit).

No comments:

Post a Comment