Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hero Up!

Recently I tried this free game, which is currently beta version, online, called Marvel Super Hero Squad Online.
Yes, I know, it looks really kiddy. In fact, it is meant for targeted at kids. Just that, well, older people can play too. And as a Marvel Comics fan, I decided to try it out. I'd wait for Marvel Universe Online(Marvel's answer to DC Universe Online) but there's been news that it has been scrapped. So this is the alternative.
Now, the kid-friendly graphics of the game is not the only kid-friendly thing about the game; it's everything. The gameplay is simple for kids to pick up, and you can do funny expressions to communicate with other players online. Nothing obscene, violent, or vulgar to taint a kid's innocent soul. And yet, it's entertaining for older people like me. I enjoy the simplistic gameplay, the entertaining actions my characters can do, and roaming around the different locations is somewhat... relaxing. There's no tough boss(although I admit they are quite challenging, even for me), the fighting controls are easy. The only challenge you can make for yourself is being top scorer in the mission, or doing the last hit on the boss. Feels good when my Cyclops' mega optic beam crushes the boss in a slow-motion death. All credit goes to me :) Just kidding.

The game starts off with a tutorial, which is easy to digest and rather entertaining. Oh wait. You start with getting your squad name, which is randomized. So you keep clicking "random" until you find one you like. In my case, my squad is Psi Avenger Prime. Since everyone may be using identical characters, you are identified by your squad name, because no two person has the same squad name.
You start with 4 heroes: Falcon(doubt most people know him), Ms. Marvel(don't ask), Thing(from Fantastic Four, please know), and Cyclops(love him, and so glad he was starting hero). Because he's my favorite hero currently in the Marvel Universe(sorry Spider-man), I used Cyclops for most of my missions, hence him being at Max level first. I can now take all the KOs (aka kills) and get top score most of the time! But that's a challenge I usually set for myself. You can purchase heroes using Gold and Silver, although earning them is rather difficult, especially gold. Silver can still be obtained from missions. To obtain your money, you need tickets to spin this big wheel, like Wheel of Fortune. Also, with the beta version, there are codes given out to give us free heroes and S.H.I.E.L.D. membership. This membership is basically like those "platinum" or special membership in games where you can enjoy special privileges by spending real money. But, to attract new players, Marvel gave a code to allow players a limited free S.H.I.E.L.D. membership. Smart move. And I'm enjoying it!
The missions can be done solo of with people. You can send request from friends to join you in missions, or get random people to aid you. It's rather interesting to play together with other people, as there'll be more enemies to bash in order to reach the boss. Also, it means the boss won't be focusing on you all the time, allowing you to beat him up.
Basically this game reminds me of guild quests I see in World of Warcraft, combined with the kid-like graphics of Maple Story, add Marvel Universe contents in it, ensure that it's targeted at the younger audience, and there you have it: Marvel Super Hero Squad Online. Like the saying goes, don't knock it 'til you try it.

Put your party goggles on

No comments:

Post a Comment