Saturday, July 17, 2010

Explanation Time

Edited because it's not meant to gun CR down or anyone in particular.

Because we were having too much fun yesterday, I did not bother to talk about the band thing. But now I shall. CR if you want to know everything, I'll talk to you personally. Alone. Because I will not say it all here, and some stuff I left out here are actually quite important too.

Ok first and foremost I apologise for not telling you guys about me auditioning. I only wanted to tell you guys once I got into a band. I felt that even if I told you guys first, but fail the auditions, won't it be wierd? Like how the guy in She's Out Of My League finally said what he wanted to day to the people on the plane and realise he cannot leave the plane. But you guys did the same thing to me with the back up bass thing, you know?

About the back up bass: you could have discussed with me first. But since I didn't tell you guys about the auditions, we're even on that. What's worse, you simply chose some guy you know. No try outs or anything. Best part? I found out who your so-called bassist is, and he know nuts about bass. If he was some guy with bass experience, it would not be so bad. And you said is so that I don't need to play songs I don't like. It's not the songs that I don't like, I realised. It's the band. So imagine right now I do not actually enjoy any songs we play, does that mean he'll play everything? I'll talk about that more further down. Thing is, have you considered solving that problem by trying to make me like the songs first, instead of adding another guy into the band? As in, solve the problem within before getting help from without?

Lastly, why I quit the band. Before you go further, ask yourself: what is a band? How do you define it and what do you expect the band to be? I tell you what a band is to me. A band is a group of friends who can just meet up, sit down and start bonding through music. A band have fun playing music together, and they do not have back ups. What band has back up? We are not a percussion band CR, so there is no back up. I thought the band felt special to me because hey, I'm the bassist of our band. But you want a back up. A band is like a family. You cannot just get back ups. I don't believe a band should be covering for each other. No successful band works that way. But you do this "cover for each other" which I don't feel is how a band should be. Because we never have full strength, you think that works. Sure, in the short run we make some music, but where is the chemistry?

Remember that discussion we had about the band? Personally, I think in the end it was futile because I see no changes. One good example is the songs. We agreed it'd be pop and rock, but the way I see it, we, I mean tou guys, are going acoustic. Sure you say it's for wedding gigs, but playing solely acoustic? That's what I see right now. Every song you guys are going to play soon are acoustic. And all those new songs, you guys did not even discuss. Just suddenly decided to play these songs. You guys don't even ask for my opinion. CR you should see next paragraph. Do you know what I feel? I don't feel like a band member; I feel like an instrument just to help make your music sound complete. And you guys are spamming songs too fast, do you realise we are not good at any song at all? So sure we have a list of songs we can play, but that is not progress. Sorry to be the bad guy here, but we barely went anywhere. Till today, after a year as a band, we still cannot be 100% confident of our Love Story. Progress is not measured by how many songs we accomplished as individuals, but how much chemistry the band has and their skills.

Remember I mentioned that the band would affect friendships? Well, this is where I told you so. I can be very out spoken and say this last point, but I know better. Holding it in is not because I'm soft spoken or scared, but because I put into consideration our friendships and feelings. All I shall say to CR for this last point is: lead like a leader. I looked up to you to be the one to make the right decisions for the band and make sure things work out. You said you would handle music, so I agreed to leave it to you because I knew you could handle it. But you just do not seem to be taking charge at all. Certain things are so obvious. And as a band member I deserve to think for myself. I won't just learn what you guys tell me to play just with a snap of your fingers. Why I don't go for jamming? Simple. I don't enjoy it anymore. How much do each of you actually enjoy our jamming sessions, honestly? If you guys continue this path and not bother trying to understand all I said, then so be it. Sure we may know how to make music, but do we know how to do it as a band?

I'm not saying I'm entirely right but all I said is based on my perspective and observations. I know what I really want in a band. You guys should think through carefully too. Sorry if all these sounds harsh, but I'm being honest. I may not be "treading lightly", but its because I believe we are friends long enough to let this band thing screw up what we build since Toilet Kurau secondary.

Guys, if after my explanation you guys want to counter, tell me face-to-face. Don't write in my cbox or something. Tell me personally so that I can explain my rationale. Peace :D And all the best to your band!

PS: CR sorry if it sounded like a personal attack, I've edited to make it less offensive, yet still trying to send my message across. I didn't expect it to sound so much like one, so forgive me. And I didn't discuss with you on Friday because I want a one-to-one conversation not only to tell you all these, but to tell you more of our band's flaws. Thanks Kenny for pointing it out.



I never wanted to believe
That you could lie, that friends deceive
But here I stand, I'm still the same
I've watched you change, you won't come back

~ Simple Plan - The End

No comments:

Post a Comment