Sunday, December 19, 2010

Penang Day 1

The day started with me going to CR's place at 5am on Thursday morning, because he dad was going to give me a ride to airport. On the way we picked up XX as well. I saw both of them carrying bags, while I brought a small luggage, and realised I should have done the same. So anyway we went to the airport, where Kenny and Rosh were there. Jeff was a little late, and his father came along to help us get the air tickets. XX gave us some cool Casio watches from her Cambodia trip. We went for breakfast inside the airport after that, and took quite a while before we found somewhere to eat. Only Jeff and XX bought a worthwhile breakfast, which was those toast with egg and coffee. The rest of us bought either noodles or chicken rice, which were overpriced and lousy. I was not too sure, because I could taste nothing with my stupid flu. Tried to check my Castle Age at the internet kiosk after that but got dragged away XD So anyway we went to our boarding hall and waited for our flight(where I managed to update my Castle Age :D).

When I first step into the plane, I got a shock. I've never taken Jetstar before, mostly Singapore Airlines because my father could get free tickets. The plane inside was narrow, having only two rows of 3 seats each, divided by a small aisle. Fortunately it was not that small, because I somehow was not crushed to the side by CR sitting beside me :P It was a short flight, and somehow the altitude affected me pretty bad. The pressure on my head was really bad, and I do not recall ever experiencing so much pain from all the pressure before. Was rather relieved when we finally landed at our destination!

At Penang, we headed to our hotel first. Took us a while to find the bus stop, but with the helpful lady at the information counter we managed to find it. And the bus came just as we reached the bus stop! The bus ride was quite long, but we got to see the streets of Penang! Compared to Singapore, Penang was rather... spacious. Only our hotel area was somewhat crowded. Singapore is so densely populated, with all the HDBs and malls everywhere.

The hotel itself was amazing. A huge Christmas tree greeted us when we stepped in. We checked in, and put down our stuff in the rooms. Unfortunately the view consisted only of buildings, with only the mountains at a distance away. We went to the 7-Eleven outside the hotel to get for XX some cough sweets, and walked around one of the malls. But because it was in the morning, the shops were not open and it was empty. So we went to try out the food at Penang! Out of all the 3 places we went, only one was really good. The first was this small old shop, where we ordered char kway teow, laksa and po piah. Only the kway teow was nice. Even the lime juice was wierd. The next place we went was good. It was crowded, which meant it would probably be nice. We tried the chicken, some malay food, and char siew among other stuff. The char siew had too much fats in it, but the chicken was good. So was the lime juice! The 3rd place was the worst. We had ice kacang and rojak, which were way too sweet. Yucks.

After trying the food we headed back, looking at several shops for volleyballs. At one of the shops, we were about to pay up for the volleyball when the guy said that it cost 124Rm, which was around $60. No way was I going to pay for it. The guy had already put the ball into a plastic bag, but we just told him we would not be buying it. We quickly left the shop before anything else happened.

Back at the hotel we played Monopoly Deal and charades, the theme being movies. And was the charades funny! Crazy movies like Basic Instinct, Alice in Wonderland and Requim of something... by the time we finished it was dinner time and we decided to have rahim burgers, which was not opened during the afternoon so we decided to return again. XX went to buy a camera while waiting for the burgers. And I must say, the burgers are a cut above all those ramly burgers we have in Singapore! Nearly ate a second one, but thought the better of it.

After satisfying our stomachs we headed back to the hotel, but stopped by some shops to get a volleyball and some really funny clothes! We went to Giant to get some drinks for the nights to come too. Jeff, XX and Rosh decided to go swim, while CR, Kenny and I decided to get our shades. The malls were now full with people, and the shops were open! First we went to find CR's handphone battery, although I do not know why he would want to buy from Penang. We went to the small booth in the mall and asked for the charger. She said that she did not sell it, but we could find at Nokia stores. CR asked her where was the nearest Nokia store, not realizing that we were standing beside one... another shop we checked sold an "original" battery at half the original price, even giving a 3-month warranty which was useless to us. In the end CR did not get the battery. He did not even bring his phone along to test it -.- We went to get some funny shirts, and I passed my favourite one to CR because there was only large size left, and I might as well get a medium size one. Next we tried on the shades at this small shop on the ground floor. After trying so many pairs for so long, we told the guy working there that we would walk around and come back later. He gave us a rather angry look that we quickly walked off. On the second floor we found a shop selling more shades, and we happily tried on different pairs. Eventually we found "the ones". I asked the lady working there to hold onto them for us while Kenny tried on some hats, but she must have misunderstood me because she went to put back the shades when we went to the hats. She thought I told her we did not want those shades, and we went to find our shades on the racks again XD After all the shopping we went back to the hotel, where the other 3 were waiting for us to hit the sauna and massages.

After much discussion we guys went down to try the sauna, while XX rested in the hotel room. At the sauna was the gym, and after seeing the gym we decided to go hit the gym for a while! After the nice workout we went to try the sauna, and was it interesting! I've never stepped into one before, and my first time was good! Sweating it out never felt so refreshing!

XX had went to bed by the time we returned, so we guys went out for late night supper! We tried so many good food like the chicken wings, the porridge, omlette and satay! There was a shop playing cool music which made the night mood even better! Just as we finished our night meal the stalls started closing.

I honestly cannot remember but I think we slept after that, to prepare for the next awesome day!

No comments:

Post a Comment