Friday, February 11, 2011

Long Time No Blog!

Today is finally the day! I'm a man free from NS! The day I get my pink IC! No more feeling down on Sundays because I have to book in! But then...why do I not feel so excited? No more friends, no more best-lan-shop-ever, no more trying new PSP games with my friends, no more stupid moments, no more trouble to get into and laugh about, no more night's out, no more Chong Pang Nasi Lemak, nor one of the best char siew rice I've ever tasted... I'm not saying that I should sign on. Signing on is, to me (sorry any regulars who are reading this), like selling my soul to the government. I'm glad that I have finally ORD, do not get me wrong. It's just... you miss all the good times and feel a little lost in life. You wonder what to do now. Sure, I have everything all figured out. Studies, settle my driving license, focus more on my music... but you tend to feel this sense of "lost".

Before enlisting, I was busy enjoying my life as a free man. Finishing A levels, getting into SMU... the break period was rather nice! It's good to enjoy life in a carefree style without worrying about homework or exams! I did not really think about NS. I did not think I would be homesick, nor was I scared that I might get KIA somehow. But as the day that you enlist gets closer, you tend to feel depressed about going NS.

When I first went Tekong, I felt really lost. But I told myself I had nothing to worry. If countless of generations of boys could survive through NS, why not me? I remember the oath, and after that us boys standing in one line to get picked up by our parents. I heard that on that day the cookhouse would make nice food just to please the parents, but the nasi lemak we had said otherwise. Then you fall in and walk away from your parents towards your company. I wonder if any guys break down at that point, although I doubt so. Guys tend to have too much pride in them to cry openly. I recall the shaving of our heads. That part felt, to me, like the true start of NS, when our heads get shaven and we all become identical recruits.

Life there was tedious. The damn birds would keep us awake at night, we would wake up at 5.30am for morning exercise and breakfast, then start the day's training. The thing about the meals there is that I can never recall what I ate, even if it was recently. That's because of the little time they give us recruits to eat. I gulped down the food faster than I swallowed water. And I remember when I ask for less rice, the guy would stare at me. What's wrong with asking for less?! There was always this girl standing there during survey days, and her make-up was so thick I swear it's actually a mask!

I always thought that officers and sergeants were really very high ranked during my time in Tekong. I thought they were regulars, and I was so scared of them. Turns out they were one or two years older than me, and that their ranks were nothing outside Tekong! And they treat us like dirt?

I remember POP day, when we all passed out(as in leave Tekong, not faint LOL). I threw my cap into the air and lost it. In the end I marched off, being the only guy among all the green caps showing his bald head :( They say life can only get better in NS, but not the next phase...

I got posted to SISPEC to train to be a sergeant. I heard that previous generations had all the people mixed up from Tekong, so even if you were in the same company in Tekong you would not be in SISPEC. Fortunately, the new system grouped all the same Tekong companies together, which was better for us. I saw many familiar faces from my company and was elated. However, life was worse there. The training was tougher, there was more shit to learn, more outfields to go, and it was so far from home! At least for Tekong the gathering point was at Pasir Ris bus interchange. The only thing good about SISPEC was the very cheap arcade games! :D

For a period I wanted to go back to Tekong as a sergeant, but then I realise that being one there was not slack! But neither did I want to be a scout leader! I would need to do POW training, which I heard was they torturing you to train you up if you were to be caught! But luck shone onto me, and I went to Air Force!

Despite learning such an ancient weapon system, Air Force was probably the best thing to happen to me in my NS life. "Slack" became part of my life, and I finally got to have men under me! Despite the greater responsibilities and sacrifices there, life in 3DA was the best time in my NS life. Some say Tekong is, but I think Tekong was one of the worst. Where else could you relax in bunk, go for night's out, play lan, and have Domino's Pizza just outside your camp? 


I did learn quite a bit in NS. I saw the various kinds of people there are out there in the world, like the backstabbing kind, the show-off kind, the ones who were true leaders, the very stupid ones, the humorous kind, etc. I learn about responsibilities and not being so narrow-minded. I saw the flaws in me, and had a greater perception about the things around me. I met awesome friends and learned much from them.

I've not been blogging recently. I must make sure my total number this year will be greater than last year's!

Suppose to play lan tonight with my friends. But I'm rather tired, for some reason, and I want to spend some time at home. That's how I want to spend my first day as a free man. With family. Plus, I'm quite bored of Left4Dead already. Blackshot and a bit of DotA is more interesting! Last of all, I'm trying this new modem of mine. I suspect the cause of my internet suddenly disconnecting is the router, which I do not think is suitable to use as a 3G modem. So I went to buy this modem from M1 and well, it's not failing me so far :)

CNY visiting tomorrow. How long can this tradition last? It's like everyone is slowly disappearing D:



I need to take a vacation!
If this is settling down
Then why aren't you here?


~The Young Veins - Take A Vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment