Saturday, October 23, 2010

Lord Of Arcana

Well, I'm finally home after a whole week of duty! And I'm booking in tonight! WTF right?  spent the whole week sleeping and playing PSP, since there are two new awesome games: DJ MAX Portable 3 and Lord of Arcana!


DJ MAX has so many cool remixes and songs, and I'm glad to hear the familiar "Get Out" song! Like it's predecessors, the music game makes you hit the right notes at the right time, with a wide array of songs to choose from.


One really good thing is that you can auto fever, meaning I do not need to press X whenever I can do a fever. Plus, no more of that stupid thing where you need to roll your analog round and round! Also the new 3.2 and 4.2 tunes are proving to be quite a challenge! The songs seem to move more to trance and remixes, which is a fresh taste from the previous variety of songs. The sound quality is spectacular as expected, and using earphones will make the music experience more amazing!


But more importantly is the other game, Lord of Arcana. Now, I expected the game to suck. There were no news about the game beforehand, and it's in Japanese. Usually the only Japanese games I'd play will be those that sound really good, like God Eater. But because I had a whole week to kill, I thought, why not? And the game rocks! Think Monster Hunter and God Eater. Some say the gameplay remind them of Final Fantasy Crisis Core too. Too bad I'm no fan of FF, so I would not know. You use a character, kill monsters, upgrade your stuff, kill bigger monsters, get cooler stuff, and so on. Sounds a lot like MH, no? Well, it's that and more. Why? There are cinematic scenes, finishing blow, ultimate spells, special attacks... looks like I better explain them slowly.

This is a Japanese game, so if you are willing to overlook the fact that you'd be lost with the storyline, and try to figure your way around, then you'll like this game. I already wrote down the names of the various monsters for reference, and basic stuff like potions and gameplay are easily figured out, so do not be such a pussy and say, "I'm not playing this because I do not know what's going on."

Like MH, the storyline plays a very minor role in the game. Sure, there is a story, but I do not bother with what I cannot comprehend. I can always read Wikipedia if I want to know the plot. Remember how MH starts? You're hunting, and a Tigrex comes and f***s you upside-down. Well, this game starts with you in super cool armor, god-like powers and weapons. See, the game let's you play the prologue mission as a end-level character to let you get a taste of how fruitful your efforts will be once you reach the end of the game. Like, all other games, you'll start the game proper from the bottom, but it's okay. I know how gay my character will be in future :)

Again, like MH, the missions are done in maps of various locations, where you run around and hunt monsters. Unlike MH, when you encounter an enemy, you do not fight on the spot. Instead, you are thrown into a fighting arena to slaughter each other. Cool, right?


This is a sword. And that is blood. A lot of blood.

There are 5 weapon classes to choose from. Sword, some huge wand stick, axe, great sword, and some lance that fires instead of slash. Also, the game let's you try out the weapon in the beginning while choosing what weapon to start with. Fortunately, you can easily change weapon at any point of time. No hassle of changing your armor to suit different weapon. Just grab what you think is cool and go kill. Unlike MH, you have a shield irregardless of weapon choice. Kill is kill, block is block. Do not make weapon problem become shield problem. I personally chose the great sword, because I like how my female character carries a big weapon to beat the crap out of anything. Yes, I used a female character. So? Motivation, people. I love my great sword, like how I liked it in MH. Pure hack and slash, take the hits, and hit back harder. No brains required. Each weapon has 4 battle styles, which are unlocked along the way. You see, There are 3 things to level: first is your character's level(Duh!), your weapon skill level, and finally your magic level. The second one helps you unlock your battle styles, with highest level of 20. Magic level is still uncertain to me, all I know is that you cast, you gain experience. I'm pretty sure high levels allow you to upgrade your magic.

Ok, back to my battle styles. Let me tell you your buttons. Square button: normal attack(combo usually chains up to 5) which is basic and also allows pop up attack, X button: block(There's perfect block,btw), O button: cast your spell, Triangle button: battle style. O+Triangle: ultimate spell. Battle style is mainly some powerful move. For instance, one of my battle style is where I charge up my sword for a strike of delicious 500 damage. Usual hits are 50-100, so you can imagine how nice it is to see a 500 damage being done is one strike. Heck, I've done 800 before! Another battle style of great sword is where I use my sword to block for a short time. If, within that time, I get hit, I'd do 2 swift attacks on the enemy, kind of like how those Shinigami do phase step in Bleach. Your spell is just a simple spell, really, with spells of different elements to choose from. Lightning spell stuns, darkness spell slows down enemy, fire burns, and so on. Ultimate spell is where you use one of those previous boss monsters as yours to attack. I'm using Agni, the fire boss, currently. Different ultimate spell does different things. So far I've unlocked 2. The lightning guy zaps the enemy, and plants an orb in the centre of the map, which the enemies will focus on. Agni rolls and damages the enemy, stunning them for a while. Trust me, getting ultimate spells are not easy.

I must admit, the monster designs are really cool, like Rathalos kind of cool. In fact, one of the monsters in the game is bloody like Kirin. It's sounds like one, moves like one, attacks like one, even stones like one. Expect that it's yellow. The picture above is Bahumut. First time my friend and I tackled him, we died pathetically. A few hours later, I tried him solo and now I'm killing him for easy money.


Finishing blows are the final blows you do on a weaken enemy. Notice how the screen is slanted in the picture above? Well, it's not that the camera sucks, it's made that way. When your screen slants, it indicates that the monster is weak, and death is around the corner. You can just hack the enemy to death, in which the screen will show "Overkill". Nothing wrong with overkill, though.

That's the Kirin, fyi.

Bosses do not have finishing blows, but rather cinematic scenes. These are basically scenes of your character beating the shit out of the boss. However, you are to hit the right buttons in the process to ensure your cinematic scenes are successful.


Multiplayer works like MH, only downside: when you all complete the mission, only the host's is consider complete. Means you need to do the same mission again, just with a different host. This is not too bad, because you normally need to fight more than once to get the items you need.

So that is LoA for you people. Boy, typing so much sure is tiring!

Paranormal Activity 2 tonight! Cannot wait to scare the crap out of myself! :D

Miss jamming. 2 weeks without jamming already. Pfft.

View counts nearly 5000! Maybe I should treat the 5000th view something! hahaha


When you're down,
All smiles turn to frowns.

No comments:

Post a Comment